Professor, Chief physicist,
Co-head of the BBC group
+358 40 3552026
juha.toyras [at] uef.fi (please fix the address before mailing!)
- Date of birth: 3 July 1975
- 31 supervided Phd-theses, 206 scientific papers, H-index 39(Scopus)-48(Google Scholar)
- Current research interests: Ultrasonic evaluation of articular cartilage and trabecular bone, Cartilage biomechanics, Cartilage MRI, Cartilage CT, Sensor technology and Sleep diagnostics.
- Current and previous experience:
- Professor (Part time, 60%), Department of Applied Physics, University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio, Finland, 15.2.2010 -
- Chief Physicist (Part Time, 40%), Diagnostic Imaging Centre, Kuopio Univeristy Hospital, Kuopio, Finland, 15.2.2010 -
- Vice/Co-Head of Biophysics of Bone and Cartilage group, Department of Applied Physics, University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio, Finland, 1.6.2004 -
- Professor and Chief Physicist. Department of Physics, University of Kuopio and Diagnostic Imaging Centre, Kuopio University Hospital, Kuopio, Finland, 1.6.2008-31.10.2009
- Medical Physicist, Diagnostic Imaging Centre, Kuopio University Hospital, Kuopio, Finland, 1.5.2007-31.5.2008
- Assistant Medical Physicist, Departments of Clinical Neurophysiology, Oncology and Clinical Radiology, Kuopio University Hospital, Kuopio, Finland, 12.7.2004-30.4.2007
- Officer Candidate Researcher, Finnish Defence Forces Technical Research Centre, Lakiala, Finland, 1.2.2004-9.7.2004
- Post Doctoral Researcher, Department of Applied Physics, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland, 1.1.2003-11.7.2003
- Post Doctoral Researcher, Academy of Finland, Department of Applied Physics, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland, 1.7.2001-31.12.2002
- Research Associate, Department of Anatomy, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland, 1.5.2001-30.6.2001
- Assistant physicist/research associate, Dept. of Clinical Physiology and Nuclear Medicine, Kuopio University Hospital, Kuopio, Finland, 1.1.1999-30.4.2001,
- Research assistant, Dept. of Clinical Physiology and Nuclear Medicine, Kuopio University Hospital, Kuopio, Finland, 1.6.1998-31.11.1998
- Part-time research assistant, Kuopio University Hospital, Kuopio, Finland, 1.2.1998 - 31.5.1998
- Hospital Physicist, 7th March, 2007, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
- Docent [Medical Physics, (Biomechanics)], 30th March, 2004, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
- PhD (medical physics), 15th August, 2001, University of Kuopio, Finland. Title:”Mechano-acoustic Characterization of Articular Cartilage and Trabecular Bone”
- Master of Science (medical physics), 7th January, 1999, University of Kuopio, Finland
- Secondary school graduate, 4th June, 1994, Muurolan lukio, Muurola, Finland
- Biomedical ultrasonics, radiology physics, cartilage biomechanics. Qualified radiation safety officer in the fields of medicine, industry, science and education.
- Language proficiency
- Finnish, native language
- English, good
- Swedish, fair
- Hobbies: Scuba diving (PADI Divemaster, CMAS***, IANTD Nitrox), underwater photography, sport horses
- Awarded as a member of The Bone Index-team in the National business plan competition Venture Cup, 2007
- The primus doctor of the 6th Ceremonial Conferment of Doctoral Degrees by the University of Kuopio, 2005.Kantti
- The Finnish Reserve Officers' Federation Award for the Dux of the Finnish Reserve Officer's School Course Nr. 223.(Course Kipinä, 24.10.2003-29.1.2004, Hamina).
- Innovation award (INNOINT 2004) for military time research on the effects of nuclear weapons, 2004.
- Kuopio City Award for Young Scientist, 2002.
- Award for the Best Poster: "Effects of Variation in Sound Velocity on Cartilage Ultrasound Indentation Measurements". XXXVI Conference of the Finnish Physical Society, Joensuu, Finland, 14-16.3.2002.
- Award for Distinguished Scientific Presentation: ”Mechano-Acoustic Evaluation of Articular Cartilage”. Association of Finnish Anatomists, Anatomici Fenniae, Helsinki, Finland, 20.8.1999.
- Young Researcher Award 2nd prize, IV Scandinavian Congress on Medicine and Science in Sports, Lahti, Finland, 5-8.11.1998.
- Physics for Diagnostic Radiology, Department of Applied Physics, University of Eastern Finland (Primary lecturer since 2002)
- Physics of Diagnostic Radiology and Radiation Protection for Clical Radiologists, Kuopio University Hospital (Lecturing since 2005)
- Medical Imaging, Department of Physics, University of Kuopio (Primary lecturer since 2008)
The recent 200 publications